Two years ago, Canberrans voted decisively for an experienced and progressive government.
ACT Labor promised to tackle big challenges, to deliver the infrastructure and services a growing city needs, and to keep Canberra healthy and safe, while protecting local jobs.
And that’s exactly what we have been doing.
So far in this parliamentary term we have:
- Kept the ACT out of a covid-induced recession and continued a 32 year run of economic growth.
- Maintained the ACT as the strongest labour market with the lowest unemployment rate in the country.
- Built and expanded local public schools - because every child should have access to a great education.
- Built new public and social housing - including Common Ground Dickson, delivering 40 new homes for individuals and families at risk of homelessness.
- Passed affirmative consent laws, making it clear that consent needs to be sought and given.
- Helped thousands of Canberrans to make their homes more sustainable through the award winning Sustainable Household Scheme.
- Delivered Australia’s first Wellbeing Budget.
- Established industrial manslaughter as an offence.
- Hired 400 new nurses, doctors, and healthcare professionals.
- Banned single use plastics to reduce waste including cutlery, straws and cotton buds.
- Further cut stamp duty.
- Started construction that connections London Circuit to Commonwealth Avenue to better connect the city to the lake and enable the next stage of light rail.
- Achieved Australia’s highest COVID-19 vaccination rate and one of the highest in the world.
- Began work on world class education precinct at CIT Woden.
- Taken action against sexual assault and violence in the ACT.
- Hired more than 60 new frontline police officers, 35 paramedics and 75 fire and rescue crew members
And we aren’t stopping there. Over the next two years we will:
- Increase housing supply and deliver more housing options for Canberrans through Build to Rent projects.
- Ensure every 3 year old has access to free early learning.
- Deliver the Canberra Hospital expansion.
- Decriminalise small-scale possession of drugs - because we know it is a health issue first, not a justice one.
- Be the first jurisdiction to raise the minimum criminal age of responsibility.
- Take real, nation-leading action on climate change to reduce emissions and lower the cost of living.
- Build the Big Canberra Battery to store the renewable energy that we generate.
- Modernise our discrimination laws so we’re a more inclusive community, including introducing a positive duty to prevent discrimination.
We understand the decisions and investments we make today will make Canberra an even better place to live in the future. Our job is to make the right decisions, at the right time, to deliver a better future for Canberra.
It’s what we promised, and it’s what we are delivering.