ACT Labor has led Australia's most progressive government for over 20 years. Tomorrow, Chief Minister and Treasurer Andrew Barr will deliver the 2022-23 Budget that delivers on many of the promises we took to the 2020 ACT election.
We took an ambitious plan to the 2020 election. A plan based on Labor values, and delivering the public services a growing Canberra needs.
It’s a plan to build new infrastructure and create jobs, deliver better healthcare close to home, provide great local public schools and make getting around Canberra easier and safer.
Now is the time to invest in our city, in infrastructure that is built for Canberra, to ensure that we remain one of the most liveable cities in the world.
Health care when and where you need it.
As we have done throughout the pandemic, the ACT Government is increasing resources across our health system so that our doctors, nurses, midwives and allied health care workers can deliver the care Canberrans need.
Over the next four years our health spending will reach a record $10 billion.
- Hiring more nurses, doctors, midwives, allied health staff, and paramedics. (We promised to hire 400 more health staff this term, and we are delivering on that promise… early!)
- Increasing our capacity for elective surgeries to deliver 60,000 over this term of Government
- Delivering new and improved services at Calvary Public Hospital.
- Expanding the Canberra Hospital
- Increasing services for children and young people and vulnerable Canberrans.
- More nurse practitioners at our Walk in Centres.
Because every Canberran deserves access to great healthcare, close to home.
Delivering great local public schools.
We are undertaking the most ambitious school infrastructure program in the history of the ACT Government.
We are building new and expanded schools in growing communities, and renewing the schools that Canberrans know and love right across the city.
We will continue to provide Chromebooks to every secondary public school student. Every child deserves an equal chance for a great education and access to technology for learning will not be an educational barrier in the ACT.
We will deliver:
- A new high school in Taylor.
- Major expansion at Majura Primary School.
- Planning work on a second college in Gungahlin.
- Expansion at Maragret Hendry School.
- A new primary school in Whitlam.
- The [email protected] Taskforce.
Building great infrastructure to support our growing city.
ACT Labor has always had a strong vision for Canberra, and in Government we are investing in infrastructure that is built for Canberra. This will ensure that we continue to be one of the most liveable cities in the world.
Our infrastructure priorities continue to be health, education, public transport, public housing, climate action and urban renewal.
And we are delivering the biggest program of upgrades to suburban facilities in Canberra’s history.
- Extending light rail
- A new theatre at the Canberra Theatre Centre.
- The Canberra Hospital Expansion.
- A new CIT campus in Woden.
We have a track record of delivering on our commitments to Canberrans, and only a Labor Government in the ACT can deliver a better future for Canberra.
Comprehensive housing package to tackle affordability & supply
Under a Labor Government, the ACT has been building more affordable homes per capita than the national average.
With more and more people choosing to call Canberra home, ACT Labor is committed to ensuring that Canberrans will continue to have access to a diverse range of housing to meet their needs.
From targeted stamp duty cuts, through to the construction of hundreds of new public housing dwellings – we are taking the big steps necessary to ensure more Canberrans have access to safe and secure homes.
The Government is planning for an increase of around 30,000 dwellings in the ACT over the next five years.
And we are continuing to expand the ACT’s stock of public housing by a further 140 dwellings, with additional investment in public housing maintenance and repairs in this year’s Budget.
Leading the nation on climate action.
ACT Labor has been leading the nation on climate action for years, and that will continue.
We are working to ensure that everyone benefits from a zero net emissions future.
Now is the time for our next big steps, and support Canberrans through the transition to a sustainable future.
That’s why we are:
- Building the Big Canberra Battery to ensure round the clock access to renewable energy.
- Building more electric vehicles (EV) charging stations.
- Making it cheaper to buy EVs.
- Partnering with Volvo to design electric emergency vehicles, an Australian first.
- Working towards a zero emissions public transport fleet.